Friday, September 17, 2010

On Turning 31

I never understood why people were so freaked out about turning 30. It is just a number. A few weeks before my 30th birthday I sat down and took an inventory of my life and my feelings on entering a new decade… nothing… I could not see what all the fuss was about. When my birthday rolled around I felt the same. As far as I was concerned 30 felt the same as 27, 28, 29… I thought maybe the only change I would notice was that people would treat me as an adult. Well… that was wishful thinking, but I digress. All in all, 30 was a great year and now I am on the cusp of turning 31. Maybe I am late to the party, but for the last month I have been obsessing about “getting my life in order.” I am turning 31… somehow; it feels more ‘real’ than the novelty of being a 30 year-old. I am torn between wanting a stable, structured life and reverting back to the carefree life of a twenty-something. (1) All that uncertainty and self-reflection was driving me crazy… and making me a little nauseous.  What was all this whining about? I am not ‘that girl.’ (3) If I want to change something, I change it. If I want to learn something, I learn it. I am unlimited. So, I am making a plan. This year I am going to start by tackling five things that I have been putting off for the last 30 years. Here is ‘the list’ of things I want to improve:

  • Keep my house clean and abolish clutter
  • Find balance between home life and work life (2)
  • Make time for ‘me’ a.k.a set aside time for my hobbies
  • Put more effort in to feeding my family healthy food
  • Get more active

Why am I blogging this?

Three reasons:

  • Accountability
    • I struggle with being a perfectionist who is afraid to let others down. If this is out there for everyone to see I will have to at least try to accomplish one of these things. I am too proud to fail.
  • Tracking my progress
    • I have never been good at taking pictures of the things I create. Recently I started cataloging the product of my crafts/cooking in my “domestic goddess in training” photo album on facebook. A lot of what I make I give away and do not get to enjoy after it is finished. It is satisfying to see evidence that you have “done” something.
  • Sharing what I learn
    • Since I started my “domestic goddess in training” album on facebook (3), many of my friends have asked for recipes, how I came up with my ideas, where to find patterns, tips on how to make/do something, etc… I started to realize that there might be people out there who are interested in learning from my attempts.
So as I wrote in my “about me,” this blog is a collection of my thoughts, a log of new things I am learning, & products I find that help me on my quest to be a girl unlimited.

(1)   Okay, so I got married at 22 years-old. I spent the majority of my twenties (happily!!) putting John though seminary, so maybe ‘reverting back to’ is the wrong word choice… perhaps ‘assuming the life of a carefree twenty-something’ would be more accurate?
(2)   Always a challenge when home is where you work
(3)   I recently watched “Julie and Julia” and Julie drove me CRAZY… I am not big on drama!
(4)   In addition to my album, have had a lot of response to my recent posts about cleaning, getting organized, etc...

No comments:

Post a Comment